My name is Jennifer Lenox. I am currently a junior at the University of South Alabama majoring in Special Education. After I receive my bachelor's degree, I plan to continue my education and receive my master's degree and become certified in Applied Behavior Analysis.

This blog is for me to communicate with future employers, employees, parents and collegues.

Monday, April 27, 2009

ACCESS Granted

ACCESS stands for Alabama Connecting Classrooms, Educators and Students Statewide. It is a program set up by the Alabama Department of Education that helps educators provide students with courses and learning opportunities that are not offered at their school. Every high school in Alabama has an ACCESS lab. ACCESS uses internet courses, videoconferencing, and a blend of both to meet their students' needs.

I visited the ACCESS lab at Fairhope High School in Fairhope, Alabama. Mr. Williamson, one of the vice principals, gave me the tour. One of their teachers is going to Northern Anartica, along with twenty-one other teachers across the nation, to study a species of fish that can survive in subzero waters. She will be using the internet and videoconferencing to communicate with her students back at Fairhope High School about her findings and her experiences. This is just one example of how ACCESS works.

Since I will be an Elementary School teacher teaching children with Autism, this program is not available to me as of right now. I'm hoping that they will expand it so that it will be available to all students - from kindergarten through high school. ACCESS opens up so many doors to students who would otherwise miss out on these learning opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment